Monday, June 6, 2011

Ups and Downs, Smiles and Frowns

Wow time really does fly by in life, I'm so sorry it took me almost 3 weeks to write a new entry. Being here in Rwanda has been rough for me to say the least, but that doesn't mean the bad outweighs everything. I've been on many amazing journeys here in Rwanda, places that have breath taking views, and I've also seen some of God's amazing creations. I've been on a safari, traveled up mountains, seen beautiful sunrises and sunsets, and have made friendships that will last an eternity. I've seen things, that many of you who are reading this would never in your life want to see....but then again I think you should, because it will not only open your eyes, but it will change your life forever.

The Rwandan government has finally given me permission to film at the genocide memorial sites, and to be quite honest with you, my joy in finally getting that turned to complete gloom. Words can't describe what I've been filming these past few weeks. I've interviewed about six people so far, and quite honestly I've been to the point of almost falling on my knees weeping because of how serious this genocide has effected these people. Know that when this documentary is filmed, you will probably want to stop seeing it after the first minute because I will tell you this is going to make you sick to your stomach from what you will see. I've been pouring it feels like my life savings to these people I've interviewed because some of them don't have parents to help them, let alone a place to call their home. One lady I interviewed has the AIDS virus, and is trying to take care of her son who can't even hear because of the gunfire he was around in the genocide. What God has been showing me here, has changed my view of the world completely.....the world is full of so much evil, that even those who are labeled "good" aren't really helping, but hiding the true evil. I'm so thankful though for what Christ has done for all of us though, because even if we have fallen into the corruption of the world.....He forgives us and doesn't even look at it, but guides us back into His Father's loving arms.

Coming here to Rwanda has been quite a challenge for me spiritually because, God is showing me the truth behind what being a REAL CHRISTIAN is all about. Being a follower in Christ means we must forsake the ways of the world, we must sell everything we have in order to follow Him, we must even count everything we gain on this world as a LOSS because Christ is our everything. It hasn't been easy for me because I'm still so drawn to the things of the world, and I've become so complacent these past few years, because I've been so enraged with God in what He has put me through. I lose a relationship, I'm not able to even hear God at times, I don't get these positions I really wanted in these organizations I was involved with.....do you see the picture here, I whine to much, but yet God keeps on telling me in Hebrews 12:1-6 to endure this pain because it will lead me and you to something so much better. You know the one thing I hate most in this world, is running, simply because of the pain I go through. It feels like my body is literally on fire, and my lungs are being hammered with rusty nails, and my heart is pounding so fast that I can't even walk.....that is how many of us as believers in Christ feel at times, but He goes on saying in verse 6"For the Lord disciplines the one he loves and chastises every son whom He receives." You see while here, He has shown me what true joy in Him really is......but at the same time, we must continue to focus on the race and push through the pain in order to get there.

Now don't take this in a bad way, because when we get in shape (become mature both spiritually, mentally, and physically), the rewards are truly amazing. I have faith in knowing one day He will provide for me someone to cherish, and love on, and be proud to consider my wife and mother of my children. I have faith in knowing He will help me find a job that will help me take care of my living. I have faith in knowing that one day He will let me become a grandpa to a bunch of little Turnips. I have faith in knowing that when I must go through hell in this life, I know He will be my side to guide me. But the biggest thing that I want to truly experience in this life, is to be an Ambassador for Christ to others, because that I tell you is the best experience you will ever witness on this earth.....it will outdo all the desires that I even have before this. But in order to experience these things, you must go through the downs and frowns because when you reach the top, it is seriously joyous.

I've seen people who don't have a home, some who are very ill, homes that are headed by the older child, and children who saw there own mothers and fathers die in front of them, but they are completely happy because they have turned their lives over to Christ.....but there are still many out there who aren't saved. Let me ask you this......"Is it worth the risk to step outside the comfort zones, to help reach to these people?" I know now that God is calling me to be in the journalism industry because quite frankly, it's not as "good" as I thought it was.....I maybe persecuted for doing "good" in this industry, but if it comes to saving many lives to Christ........then I'll do it. Whatever it is you are doing right now, I simply ask you to stop for a few minutes and look up in the Bible Hebrews 11, 12, and also 2 Peter 1:1-14 and meditate upon these. He showed me some deep things in these verses that I quite honestly haven't lived by, but now after reading them, He is showing me that He is still cares for me, even when I've fallen into some very bad things. We as believers must train our spiritual bodies to endure hardship, just like a runner must battle through pain, because when we do, WE WILL BE STRONGER.

This is my last full week, and David and I are going to preach the Gospel to these young men, we've been working with on our soccer team Wednesday, so please pray for us that the Holy Spirit may speak from our mouths, and if one of these boys comes to accepts Christ, then I know we're on a good track. Also pray for my friend David, because He is taking my departure very hard, and he needs someone here he can trust to help with this ministry, and also for his progress in college both financially and academically. Also pray for me, that God may help me adjust when I get back home to the U.S. because I need to start looking for a job, and also that I may not lose what God has been teaching me here. I thank you so much for your prayers and support you've sent me and as always let me know if you have a prayer request.

Let Us Continue To Endure in the Race!
Hebrews 12: 1-5,
Adam Turnipseed

No comments:

Post a Comment